Monday, January 14, 2013

Martin Luther King Presentation


If you are teaching about Martin Luther King
this is a great presentation to use in your classroom.
There is a TON of information about his life, YouTube video links and a mini quiz at the end.
Examples Include:









We read "The Crayon Box that Talked."
This is about a box of crayons that do not like each other because they are different colors.
They eventually learn to love each other and realize what beautiful pictures they can create together.


After, I told the kiddos we were going to celebrate Martin Luther King Day by 
having some yummy eggs.
They got very excited! I proceeded to take out the two carton of eggs.
When the kiddos saw two different color eggs (brown and white shells), most of them yelled, 
"Oh Yuck! I don't want the brown eggs!"


Without saying anything, I simply asked, "Who would like the white eggs?"
20 students raised their hands.


Then I asked, "Who would like the brown eggs?"
Only 4 kids raised their hands.
I explained, "Well I bought more brown eggs, so I need some of you to change your decision." I asked, "Is there a reason you do not want the brown eggs?"
Some of their answers included:
"They look gross."
"They probably taste yucky."
"I have never had them before."
"I only eat white eggs."

Then I asked, "What color do you think the eggs are inside?"
Most of the answers were brown or purple.

THEN I MADE A CONNECTION TO MLK.
I said, "Hmmmm. Do you think this is how Martin Luther King felt? 
His skin was a different color than some of his friends and they didn't want to play with him. 
Some people wouldn't even talk to him because he looked different."
I continued to make connections between the eggs and MLK.



First, I cracked the white egg. Next, I cracked the brown egg.
This was very exciting in KINDERWORLD.
The kiddos all screamed and were very excited to see they were the SAME COLOR INSIDE!


I explained that although we may look different on the outside, we do not want to judge someone by the way we look.  It's the INSIDE that matters.
This was a great way to incorporate MLK's "I Have Dream" speech:
"I have a dream that one day my four children will not be judged by the color of their skin 
but by the content of their character."



People are all special and unique and have amazing talents and gifts to share!
Last, I mixed the eggs together and asked, 
"Can anyone distinguish between the brown and white egg now?"

REMEMBER: The inside of the egg represents our hearts and character. 
We must try our hardest NOT to judge someone by the way they look.
We can all "mix" together and make something great!


The kiddos put their hands together and we compared our differences.
I said, "We all look different. We have different hair color, eye color, skin color. Some of us are taller or shorter than others. But we are all SPECIAL!!!!" 


What did you learn about Martin Luther King and this activity?
Check out the kiddos cute answers on this video!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox



These are some great MLK Youtube videos:







No comments:

Post a Comment